Sunday, February 28, 2010

Respect

Wow!

16 As the ark of the LORD was entering the City of David, Michal daughter of Saul watched from a window. And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD, she despised him in her heart.

17 They brought the ark of the LORD and set it in its place inside the tent that David had pitched for it, and David sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings f]" style="font-size: 0.75em; line-height: 0.5em; ">[f] before the LORD. 18 After he had finished sacrificing the burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the LORD Almighty. 19 Then he gave a loaf of bread, a cake of dates and a cake of raisins to each person in the whole crowd of Israelites, both men and women. And all the people went to their homes.

20 When David returned home to bless his household, Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, "How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, disrobing in the sight of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!"

21 David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the LORD's people Israel—I will celebrate before the LORD. 22 I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor."

23 And Michal daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death."

After my last post, I went on and read this.... I'm ashamed that I've probably felt this very same way before. I'm ashamed that I would look on my husband, whom I love, yet am called to respect, and have thought "look at you, how could you?". Do you see what God did to her? He struck her barren. Michal is the daughter that was given to David after he struck down Goliath. David had gone all the way back to Saul's camp to retrieve her. After the disgrace of Saul's death, he saved her from this same disgrace. Wow! I pray that I will never again be so disrespectful to my husband. God knows his heart and God has purpose in everything. When I read this text I am struck how ugly Michal seems. I can only imagine David coming and being so excited saying "Honey! Did you see?? We brought the ark back! Can you believe how good our God is?!" and then Michal turning to him with look of disgust and basically telling he is an idiot. How sad that moment must have been for David.

Lord,

I pray that I will remember how this text made me feel. I pray that I would never disgrace my husband by my thoughts or words. I pray I would never again judge my husband. show me how to respect him the way You have ordained for me to respect him. Give me a heart of gentleness, patience, kindness and goodness (particularly towards my husband whom I love).

In Christ's worthy name,

Amen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment