Sunday, February 21, 2010

Colossians really rocked me today. Sometimes I wonder if God is just shaking His mighty head thinking when will they ever get it. It would be like us watching our precious children continuously running into a wall, crying and begging us to help them. We would look at them and say "I've already told you a hundred times, just don't run into the wall, sweetie."
God made peace with everything in heaven and on the earth by means of Christ's blood on the cross, including us; yet, somehow we constantly drift away from Him. We don't take the time to worship Him, we rush through our days relying on ourselves and not on Him (well of course, unless something bad happens, then we go to Him), we spend our money the way we want without first asking God how it would be better used to further His Kingdom, we speak to our spouse the way we want with whatever words we blurt out, rather than asking God to guide our words and actions so that our husband will see Christ in us.... You get the picture.... Then we wonder why we are in the mess we are in.
God tells us "in Him lay hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Yet, we go about seeking wisdom from the world and knowledge through our own ways. He has given us His Word and in America we have the freedom to have an hundred Bibles if we so choose, we can read it at work, in the car, at the public park, wherever, but we so often don't even take the time to read and meditate on His Word that will unveil true wisdom and knowledge to each of us.
If only I could/would read Colossians 3 every day, even memorize the whole thing, maybe I could find true peace in my life. We are raised to new life in Jesus. We don't have to be stuck where we are, we are NEW with Christ. We should be thinking about the things of Heaven not Earth. How many countless minutes do I spend worrying about the things of this world. If only I would keep my eyes up and not on what's all around me, I could save a lifetime of stress. If only I would put on my new nature every day and allow myself to be renewed without dwelling on the hurts of yesterday or the tasks left undone, then (and only then) could I truly clothe myself with tenderhearted mercy (think of a marriage where when things are going sideways you have mercy rather than discord or defensiveness), kindness (think about a marriage that repays hurt with loving kindness), humility (think of a marriage where we are more concerned about being humble before our husband rather being justified), gentleness (think of a marriage that we only are gentle, always, no matter what the circumstance) and patience (think of a marriage when despite the fact that we've asked 3 times to take out the garbage, we instead have the patience to just leave it there and trust God that if it is really that important our spouse will take it out). And then above all else, if I would just clothe myself with true, unconditional love each and every moment of each and every day, then (and only then) will we have the peace that comes from Christ ruling in our heart.
I give thanks to God, our Father, who gives us His Word each and every day. It truly is new every morning. I've read these scriptures a good hundred times before now, but today God spoke new wisdom and understanding to me. Until I can wrap my arms around these principles and unconsciously portray each of these attributes, I will not be where God wants me, thus my marriage will not be where I want it to be.
Take heart, God is HERE, He is speaking to each of us and He so desperately desires we just put our trust and hope in Him, and not the world.
Serving Him today.....

No comments:

Post a Comment