Thursday, March 4, 2010

Perspective

Over the past few days I've been a little consumed with the idea of perspective. Answers.com defines perspective as "a mental view, the subjective evaluation of a relative significance. Along with the idea of perspective, God has continuously led me to Proverbs 3:3. We all know it, it's the verse that tells us to lean not on our own understanding. Particularly in context of today's entry, I feel like God is telling to stop putting my perspective on issues, but to look through His lenses. When I can get out of my own little world and my own finite mind, and see past what has offended me or what is breaking my heart, I can often times handle the world around me much better. Sometimes, He may be saying not necessarily to look at things from His perspective but from the other person's perspective. We define our own reality through our perspective unless we can move beyond that into someone else's perspective. take for instance (an easy example), I love, love, love my new jeans (I don't even have new jeans, but I remember when I got my first pair of Lucky's and I felt "Lucky", I loved them so much!) but when I come home my daughter says "OOOH MOM!!! Did you really spend money for those?" what then do I do? Do I continue to where them because from MY perspective I "love, love, love" them, or do I re evaluate? Maybe, I love them so much because the sales person was telling my how skinny I looked in them, how amazingly younger they made me look and I developed that salesperson's perspective by the power of influence, or maybe I just love them because they are new and I paid too much money for a pair of silly jeans. However, when others just take a glance my way, they may see that they are actually too tight, they shouldn't be worn by someone over the age of 20 or they just don't look good on my body type. If I can look past my own perspective and take my daughter's into account, I may be far better off and save myself a ton of embarrassment.
When God calls us to humble ourselves, I believe He means in every area. We are not God, thus our perspective is not always right. To be humble is to "show differential or submissive respect"....OUCH... submissive respect. What's up with that? It seems like it all goes back to the "R" word again. Respect. It's all come full circle again. I take my eyes off of myself, I do not focus on my own understanding, I humble myself in all circumstances and perhaps I'm getting closer to the Godly respect that He is asking from me.
Hmmmm. Points to ponder for the day ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment